Thursday, October 1, 2009

Gregg Wants to Stay
Kevin Gregg wants to stay a Chicago Cub. he also seems himself a closer and want to be in that role in 2010, according to Gordon Wittenmyer. "If teams are going to look at me to close, they know I can close," said Gregg. The free agent to-be is unlikely to be resigned this winter. The Cubs officially shut Gregg down for the season yesterday with a ribcage injury.

Corner Infield Injury Updates
Derrek Lee was back in the lineup for game 2 yesterday after X-rays revealed no fracture in his foot. Lee hit a foul off his foot on Tuesday. He has also dealt with neck injuries as of late and throughout the season. In the mean time, the news is also good on third baseman Aramis Ramirez. Ramirez will not be shut down for the season, and Lou is planning to start Rami tonight. He has been playing through pain.

World Series 101
It's time to Wait Until Next Year once again. On Tuesday night the Rockies beat the Brewers to clinch the NL Wild Card.

Trammell on Managing Cubs
Ryan Sandberg, Bob Brenly, and Alan Trammell; all of whom are already in the Cubs organization, are the 3 top candidates to replace Lou Piniella as Cubs manager some day. Alan, the Cubs bench coach, told this to the Chicago Tribune: "I want to be on the field, and if it's doing what I do now, I'm OK with that," Trammell said. "If someone was to call, that might rekindle the fire a little bit. ... I'm a baseball guy. I admit it. I love it. ... But as far as managing, I want to be a little pickier. Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot saying that, but I feel like after doing it the way I did it, I'm not just going to seek any job."

Lou on Waddle and Silvy
Among other things, Lou mentioned that the Cubs will try to replace Bradley.

Winter Ball
The Giants AZIL clobbered the Cubs 12-6 yesterday in Mesa. Arizona Phil from TCR had a nice right up on the game. Cubs pitcher Jeff Samardzija will pitch in the Mexican Winter League this off season as he hopes to compete for a spot in the starting rotation in 2010 Spring Training. The Arizona Fall League gets started a week from next Tuesday, on the 13th. The Mesa Solar Sox will take on Phoenix. We'll have updates from all the winter leagues throughout the offseason.

3 Mil
The Cubs have now had over 3 million fans pass through the turnstiles 6 years in a row. They join the Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels as the only teams to do so.

Add one thing to the list of similarities between 2007 and 2009: It ends with 3 against Arizona. Let's hope the Cubs win more of those 3 games this year then they did 2 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment