Here are the latest news and notes:
- Last week the Cubs avoiding arbitration with Matt Garza, agreeing to a one year, $9.5 million contract. The Cubs and Garza narrowly avoided an arbitration hearing. There is still speculation that the Cubs could part ways with their ace in return for a load of prospects before the start of the season. Some speculators say he is more likely to be moved in July than before Opening Day.
- A somewhat surprising move was made today as Blake DeWitt was Designated for Assignment. This move saves the Cubs a little bit of money on their 2012 payroll and opened up a roster spot. According to a tweet from Bruce Miles, if DeWitt clears waivers he will likely end up outrighted to Iowa and come to Cubs camp as a non-roster invite.
- The Cubs immediately filled DeWitt's roster spot by picking up utility man Adrian Cardenas off waivers. He spent all of 2011 playing for the A's Triple-A club and hit .314.
- The Cubs signed Gerardo Conception, a 19 year old Cuban, to $7 million deal. The young lefty will be invited to big league spring training.
- The Cubs are still in pursuit of Yoenis Cespedes and Jorge Soler.
That's it for now, but I'll keep you posted!