- A return to form for Soriano and Soto.
- Part ways with Rich Harden and Kevin Gregg.
- Pay another team to take Milton Bradley.
- Aramis Ramirez and Derrek Lee staying healthy.
- Carlos Marmol can close.
- Randy Wells continues his success.
- Carlos Zambrano needs to mature.
This is just a start. We'll continue to blog about all this as we move into the offseason.
Now a few other notes:
- Kevin Gregg will be shut down for the remainder of the season with a rib cage injury. Gregg's Cub career could be over.
- Aramis Ramirez is out of the lineup with shoulder soreness. He could be the next named added to the "shut down for the season" list.
- Lou Piniella talked to Carrie Muskat about the Sun-Times article that said that Lou is "tired, cranky, and disinterested", and that he "should be removed as Cubs manager".
- Check out Carrie's Inbox from Cubs.com.
Also, the Arizona Instructional League got underway at Fitch Park yesterday as the Cubs tied the Brewers 9-9. The Instructional League puts together many top lower level prospects from each team and puts them on a team, one for each organization to get some fall work in. The AZIL should not be mixed up with the Arizona Fall League. Here is the box score from Game 1:
- Hak-Ju Lee: 1-5
- D.J. LeMahieu: 3-5
- Ryan Flaherty: 3-4
- Rebel Ridling: 2-4
- Kyler Burke: 0-4
- Jovan Rosa: 0-2
- Michael Brenly 2-2
- Justin Bour: 1-4
- Runey Davis: 1-4
- Dong-Yub Kim: 2-4
- Kyung-Min Na: 0-3
- Alberto Cabrera: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 R
- Rafael Dolis: 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R
- Jose Rosario: 1 IP, 2 H, 3 R
- Austin Kirk: 2 IP, 4 H, 2 R
- Corey Martin: 1 IP, 3 H, 1 R
Today, the Cubs fell to the A's 5-1 to drop to 0-2. Hitters Box Score:
- Kyung-Min Na: 0-2
- Blair Springfield: 0-2
- Logan Watkins: 1-4
- Ryan Flaherty: 1-4
- Rebel Ridling: 0-3
- Kyler Burke: 0-3
- Brandon May: 1-2
- Richard Jones: 1-1
- Bobby Wagner: 0-2
- D.J. Fitzgerald: 0-3
- Ping-Chieh Chen: 0-3
- Wes Darvill: 0-3
- Thomas Diamond: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R
- Brooks Raley: 3 IP, 3 H, 2 R
- Trey McNutt: 3 IP, 3 H, 2 R
- Steve Grife: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R
A glimpse of the future is always nice when your where the Cubs are...