Friday, May 8, 2009

Gathright to be Sent Down?

As I mentioned yesterday the Cubs need to make room on the roster for tonight's starting pitcher Randy Wells. Well, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Cubs are planning on sending Joey Gathright to the minors today, and due to service time, he could refuse the assignment and become a free agent. The Cubs have also talked about putting Gathright on waivers. It looks like Bobby Scales might stay with the club after all.

Thanks to Chicago Cubs Online for bringing this to my attention.

I don't like this move at all. I'm actually a fan of Gathright, I think he brings a lot to the table with his amazing speed and solid defense. I don't think Lou have been using him in the way we expected. He should be appearing at least once every game late in the game as a pinch runner. It always helps to add a run late, and stealing second, or having better speed on the bases always helps. Bobby Scales hasn't proved that he is a way better hitter than Gathright, so it just makes more sense to send Scales down so they can keep both of them in the organization.

What do you think? Let me know in the comments!

I'll keep you posted on this possible roster move!

2 comments:

  1. I like Gathright to! I think JH knows he will decline the assignment and is talking about a trade with the orioles for Ryan Freel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cubs trade Joey Gathright for Ryan Freel.

    ReplyDelete